Garda Trentino tourist board special price: € 30 instead of € 49
Itinerary km 9 – duration of trek 6 - 6.5 hours – vertical height gain ↑ 700 m ↓ 700 m
A strikingly beautiful trek up at altitude through alpine meadows and pastures, immersed in nature and wild landscapes which leads to the top of Mount Altissimo, a very panoramic peak overlooking lake Garda. Mount Altissimo makes up the northernmost point of the chain of Monte Baldo, also known as the "Botanical Garden of Europe", as since XV century chemists and herbalists walked up and down its slopes looking for all sorts of plants to use for their curative effects. This is just one of the curiosities on this hike, but Monte Baldo has many other secrets to tell.
After a 45-minute-long transfer, you will reach Prati di Nago at an altitude of 1560m, starting point of our tour. We will then climb up the slopes of Monte Altissimo (2053m), hiking up the northern face. Above the woods, in front of us the wild Val del Parol opens up and from May to July we can walk through magnificent lilies, gentians and orchids. Marmots and chamois live here and it is very easy to catch a very close glimpse of them. Moreover many limestone slabs covered in fossils make this area very interesting geologically. In roughly three hours of walking (430m of vertical height gain) we will reach rifugio Damiano Chiesa for lunch, on the path which runs along the ridge “Alta via del Monte Baldo”. The peak of Monte Altissimo (2070m), which can be reached in 10 minutes from the mountain hut, consists of a wide panoramic terrace overlooking Lake Garda, perfect for taking photos! The descent down the famous path 601, which unwinds through dwarf pine trees and rhododendrons over panoramic ridges, leads us to join up with the initial part of the ascent.
Meeting point (indicate the desired meeting point in the "notes" field):
- 8.30 - Arco - Mmove Infopoint: Via Legionari Cecoslovacchi, 14 loc. Prab i- Arco
- 8.45 - Riva del Garda - Tourist information office: Largo Medaglie d'oro al V.M., 5 - Riva del Garda
- 9.00 - Torbole - Short-term bus parking: crossroads of Via Matteotti and Via Strada Granda - Torbole
• Lots of beautiful views overlooking Lake Garda.
• Geology, plants and wildlife
This activity is offered by the Garda Trentino Tourist Board in collaboration with MMove (mountain guides and territory guides).
By booking this activity you confirm that you have read and accepted the "terms and condition", the "general disclaimer" and the "specific disclaimer" conditions available at this link.
Included Services: Mountain guide or local hiking guide, transfer, third-party insurance, special lunch deals.
It is requested:
- to wear hiking shoes (no sneakers, no sandals);
- to wear sportswear and comfortable clothing;
- to bring with you a backpack (no shoulder bags) with 1 liter of water, a snack (or packed lunch where indicated by the program), sun cream, sunglasses, hat, a spare T-shirt, a sweatshirt and a rain jacket.