Chiesa Santa Maria Assunta

The parish church Santa Maria Assunta rises in the centre of Riva del Garda and looks out on the spacious Piazza Cavour. The present building, first mentioned in 1106, is a Baroque reconstruction(1728). It is an aisleless church and it has a side chapel for the Suffrages; it has numerous altars with decorations and stuccoes. Behind the high altar stands out the great painting of Our Lady of the Assumption of Craffonara, but the best work is kept near the fourth altar on the left, Our Lady of Sorrows. At the adjacent small piazza Craffonara we find a bas-relief bust by the artist Francesco Trentini (1790-1837) and an ancient column. The ancient church, afterwards destroyed, rose at this small piazza.


Request information