It is situated in the south-west of Arco, in an isolated place as to the built-up areas, at the limit of Riva del Garda’s territory, on the road to Varone. The building was commissioned by Francesco d’Arco in 1478. The Franciscan convent that is still existing, was completed in 1482 and ten years later the church was completed. Precious is the bronze entrance door of the church and the brickworks on the façade, works by the sculptor Fra’ Silvio Bottes, who today is still resident in the convent; and also the statue of San Francesco at the church square is his work like countless other works made in numerous different places in Italy and abroad. In the cloister, that is situated on a lower floor, are the tombstones of Susanna Collalto, Nicolo’s mother, and of Barbara Martinengo, Andrea of Arco’s wife, who probably were buried in the ancient church desired by the father-in-law.
The spaces on the inside of the convent are beautiful, for their structure and proportion: there are several courtyards and rooms, among which a beautiful dining-hall where so now and then cultural and religious events are organized.
You can visit the church during the day and masses are regularly celebrated by the friars.